Outside Hope Valley Round
The Outside Hope Valley Round originated on 28th March 2019, when a team of staff and suppliers from Outside and Alpkit picked a dark and cold night to run around the ridges surrounding the valley. Tired, freezing and triumphant, we decided to give the route a name and see if anyone else would like to get involved in a circuit of the stunning Hope Valley.
Run the Outside Hope Valley Round
This year we have extended an invite to our customers to try the route themselves. Verified completers will be added to a Roll of Honour displayed in the Outside Café, and one of our favourite brands, Montane are partnering with us to provide a congratulatory Buff for all completers, a seasonal prize draw and plenty of encouragement.
The Route starts and finishes at the Outside shop (Main Road, Hathersage, S32 1BB). The distance is approximately 20 miles / 32 km. The terrain is mainly well-defined paths, tracks, and roads; but some navigational expertise will be necessary, particularly in poor weather. A significant proportion of the route is over 1000ft / 305 m. and the total ascent is 4490 ft / 1360 m - see the clockwise profile below:
Outside Hope Valley Round Elevation Profile © Printmaps.net OSM Contributors.
Watch the video and get inspired!
How to complete the Outside Valley Round
- Start and finish at Outside in Hathersage (please use the village car park and NOT our small customer car park behind the shop. Our customer car park is locked outside shop hours).
- You may go in either direction, but all the checkpoints must be visited.
- The route choice between checkpoints is up to you but please stick to public rights of way and Access Land. See the map below for our suggested route which avoids roads (and a golf course!) as much as possible. You can download a GPX file from the map by clicking on the link below.
- The OHVR must be completed in one journey. A multi-stage round does not count.
- You must take personal responsibility to ensure that you:
- are fit enough to undertake the challenge,
- have suitable clothing and equipment for the conditions,
- carry enough food and drink for the whole journey,
- have left a route card and estimated time of arrival with someone you trust.
Click the link to download GPX data: OVHR.gpx
|Start/Finish||Outside Hathersage||[230 815]|
|A||Leadmill Bridge||[233 806]|
|B||Shatton Moor mast||[194 813]|
|C||Old Moor track/path junction||[135 813]|
|D||Mam Tor trig point||[128 836]|
|E||Lose Hill trig point||[153 854]|
|F||Win Hill trig point||[187 851]|
|G||Nether Hurst Farm||[222 829]|
How long will it take?
Essentially it's up to you, but you must complete the Round in one journey, and we think the following are average timings:
- Fell runners: 4 hrs
- Fast walkers: 6½ hrs
- Average walkers: 8 hrs
Let us know when you've run the Round!
When you have completed the challenge, give yourself a big pat on the back and perhaps a slice of tray-bake from our cafe, and then send the details below to [email protected] or hand them in at the front counter of the shop. If you have time, come and get yourself snapped in-store for display on our Roll of Honour board!
- Your name and where you are from (town/village)
- Age (optional)
- Date of completion
- Start and finish times and overall time
- Clockwise or anti-clockwise, plus your time at Mam Tor checkpoint
- Weather conditions
- A snapshot of you on the day (optional)
- Other comments
Your name will then be added to the Roll of Honour in the Outside Café.
Finally, remember to enjoy the fantastic Peak District scenery, have fun and be safe!